Borderlands (Zev Berman, 2007): 6.5/10

The Magic Flute (Ingmar Bergman, 1975): 7/10

La Guerre Est Finie (Alain Resnais, 1966): 7/10

Speed Racer (The Wachowski Brothers, 2008): 8/10


My Photo
Name:
Location: milwaukee, wi

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Marcus Theaters not showing Cloverfield

For those of you in the midwest like me, Marcus Theaters won't be playing Cloverfield. This is a giant blow, as in the Milwaukee area, where I am, Marcus has a giant monopoly over theaters. There's probably 15 Marcus theaters, 2 Landmark Theaters, 1 big AMC theater, and then only one or two independently owned theaters.

Marcus has a problem with what Paramount charges for movies, as they refused in December to show Sweeney Todd. I obviously have a problem with a studio charging a theater exorbitantly for big movies, but I have a bigger problem with the theater chain, especially one with such a ridiculous monopoly as Marcus, basically dictating what movies most people in Milwaukee can and can't see. The only theaters that are showing Cloverfield this weekend are ones in pricey suburbs where everyone obviously can't go/isn't welcome. So both sides are wrong, but I'm angriest at Marcus Theaters, especially since I definitely want to go see Cloverfield this weekend (everything I've read said you've got to see the movie the first weekend in order to not ruin the surprise).

Labels: , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Comments on "Marcus Theaters not showing Cloverfield"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Like you, I was absolutely pissed when I found out about this. I thought perhaps the no-show of Sweeney Todd was a fluke. Guess not. Now I'll have to drive a good twenty to thirty minutes to check this one out tomorrow. Garbage.

 

Blogger dana said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Whereabouts are you from? This is one time when I'm glad to live in Milwaukee, where at least there are a few other options within reasonable driving (15-20 minutes). But seriously, Marcus is going to start losing big time on these movies, then maybe they'll realize Paramount isn't going to back down. It's not like Marcus is a mom-and-pop theater chain, either, so they can't play the us vs. them card.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

I'm in a suburb south of Chicago, so yeah, I've got other options as well. It's just aggravating because there is a Marcus just a few blocks from my house....and I hate driving. This is pretty much the only reason I still haven't seen Sweeney.

I agree that Marcus doesn't possess the ability to play the victim here.

Ah well, I've got some AMC gift cards from last year yearning to be spent anyways.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 PM) : 

you said:
"The only theaters that are showing Cloverfield this weekend are ones in pricey suburbs where everyone obviously can't go/isn't welcome. "

What the hell are you talking about?!? It's showing at the Rosebud in Wauwatosa, and at some theater in Franklin. Definitely not pricey subrbs. And since when are there movie theaters where people can't go? "aren't welcome" maybe, but can't go? Bit of hyperbole, perhaps?

And as far as having a problem with Marcus dictating what you can and can't see... they're not. Obviously. Since it's showing at a handful of place around the area. and Marcus behaving like a bunch of spoiled brats is great for the theaters in the area, because it sends more ticket bucks to other places. I'll bet Rosebud is going to make a fortune this weekend! Finally, if you'dl ike to offer an alternative tot he Marcus stranglehold on the area, START ONE! Nothing worse than people complaining about a monopoly ignoring a segment of the public, but doing nothing to serve that section of the public themselves.
In summary: kwitcherbitchin

 

Blogger dana said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Wow dude, way to freak out over something little, like someone else's opinion. You wouldn't call Wauwatosa pricey? You wouldn't say that young/non-white people aren't really welcome at, say, Mayfair? Yes, why don't I, 22 year old full-time volunteer, start a movie theater. Great suggestion!

 

post a comment