Borderlands (Zev Berman, 2007): 6.5/10

The Magic Flute (Ingmar Bergman, 1975): 7/10

La Guerre Est Finie (Alain Resnais, 1966): 7/10

Speed Racer (The Wachowski Brothers, 2008): 8/10


My Photo
Name:
Location: milwaukee, wi

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Favorites of 2007

It's here! But I was looking at the spreadsheet I made of movies I watched in 07 (I know, nerdy), and there really isn't a solid top-10 list there. Sure, there are plenty of movies I enjoyed watching, but surprisingly enough, not 10 I could say were bar none the best. So I give you, my favorite movies released in 2007 (click on the poster for my previous review):



Smokin Aces (Joe Carnahan)

It seems like this movie was so long ago, but it was indeed January of 2007. There's so much vitriol for this movie, but I think it's a wham-bam, funny, violent action picture. Jeremy Piven is great, as is Ryan Reynolds (this is the role that made me realize I don't hate him).




300 (Zack Snyder)

Again, lots of recent backlash toward this one. I honestly think that Snyder only meant to make a cinematic, epic film that was as close to Frank Miller's graphic novel (as xenophobic, homoerotic, etc, as it might have been) as it could have been. In that, he definitely succeeded. I have no idea how I am going to hold out for another year and a half for Watchmen.




Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez)

I decided to limit myself to the better of the two films of Grindhouse, but that was the best experience I've had in the theater last year. Until the two films are released together on DVD (with the trailers intact), Planet Terror is the one I would recommend. Plus, bonus points for these films being the inspiration for Eli Roth's next project, Trailer Trash.




Hostel: Part II (Eli Roth)

Speaking of Mr. Roth, this was the most memorable film experience I had in 2007. Eli Roth is such a cool, friendly, smart guy, and the box office failure of this movie (paired with that of Grindhouse) really disheartened me.




Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters (Matt Malliero & Dave Willis)

I can't believe I didn't review this at the time, but for my money, this was the most laughs per minute in any movie this year. Sure, WTF-worthy laughs, but laughs nonetheless. A great DVD, as well, one certainly worth buying.




The Ten (David Wain)

Second-funniest movie of the year. I can't remember many of the jokes, it's a DVD that's definitely on my list to buy. It was so nice to see most of the members of The State back on screen again (twice, if you count Reno 911!: Miami).




I'm Not There (Todd Haynes)

The first "serious" movie on ths list! A great experimental indie film, and definitely American at its core. Plus, I like this (Italian?) poster way better than any of the American ones I've seen.




Black Book (Paul Verhoeven)

I still can't believe that this film, and Carice van Houten's performance in specific, are being so passed over in this awards season. They was robbed!

Labels: ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Comments on "Favorites of 2007"

 

Blogger Bob Turnbull said ... (10:00 AM) : 

I liked "Smokin' Aces" as well. To be honest, I had no intentions of seeing it until my cousin said that I should give it a shot. That first hour was actually really well done - Ryan Reynolds was bordering on subtle and they built up the story in unexpected and fun ways.

The last 30 minutes or so lost me a little as it got a bit too over the top...And I wasn't overly thrilled with how they not only let the sexed up Alicia Keys character walk away scot free, but additionally gave her a new romantic relationship AND wiped out her lesbian friend.

I haven't seen the rest of your list yet. Hoping to catch Aqua Teen Hunger Force soon as it sounds from many circles to be quite the experience.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

The Ten was hysterical. I just saw it not too long ago with a couple of friends. We were all dying. My favorite section is without a doubt the one featuring Jesus, where it is done like a foreign film. Hilarious....Vagina.

I've yet to see Black Book, but have been wanting to check that one out for quite some time. Sounds incredible.

 

Blogger dana said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Bob, I couldn't agree more how irritated I was at the virtual exoneration of Alicia Keys. The final few moments are pretty ridiculous, but hold up surprisingly well on repeat viewings. If you liked that, I recommend Shoot Em Up as well -- better actors all around, and a great story (it didn't get on this list because I didn't want two of the exact same movies on there, heh).

And CG, that was definitely my favorite segment too, along with the prison one. Ken Marino is perfect.

 

Blogger Bob Turnbull said ... (11:07 PM) : 

Been wondering about "Shoot 'Em Up" - heard both ends of the spectrum on it.

I watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force last night. Holy crap...That first three minutes or so was brillant and I think 'WTF' really captures the rest of it. Not in a bad way mind you, just in a WTF way...It was all over the place, missed in a bunch of places, but moved on to other stuff that worked exceedingly well. I'd never watched the show previously, so it took me awhile to get the rhythm of it. Shake and the Plutonians were my faves...

 

post a comment