Borderlands (Zev Berman, 2007): 6.5/10

The Magic Flute (Ingmar Bergman, 1975): 7/10

La Guerre Est Finie (Alain Resnais, 1966): 7/10

Speed Racer (The Wachowski Brothers, 2008): 8/10


My Photo
Name:
Location: milwaukee, wi

Friday, October 13, 2006

Short ones

I've seen a few movies lately that I don't really want to devote a whole post to, but thought I should say something about.

In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar Wai, 2000): I'm not as big of a Kar Wai fan as most people I know are; the only film of his so far that I have really liked has been Fallen Angels, which is in a style unlike his most famous films. In the Mood for Love, along with Days of Being Wild (which I haven't seen) and 2046 (which I have, and was disappointed in) makes up a trilogy of lost love. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung, both of whom I rather like, play neighbors whose respective spouses are cheating together, and so they form a bond based on that infidelity. The film is very visual, with minimal dialogue, and while it's beautiful, it didn't catch me in the place I thought it would. In fact, I fell asleep halfway through. Oops. I woke up and continued, but I didn't love it. 6/10

The Woods (Lucky McKee, 2006): I liked May, I liked McKee's episdoe of Masters of Horror, and I liked this. A suspenseful and intriguing first half gave way to a silly and disappointing second half, but Patricia Clarkson's performance alone is worth a rent. 6/10

Labels: , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Comments on "Short ones"

 

Blogger Jenna said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I really only like 2046 as a companion piece to In the Mood for Love (which I adore). And Days of Being Wild did absolutely nothing for me. I definitely see where you're coming from about ITMFL. Oh, and I fall asleep during movies/tv allll the time, it's awful!

 

post a comment